Monday, November 7, 2011

Back to the Future (1/5) - Introduction


We’ve been looking at Acts 2, the first church found in the scriptures that date to thousands of years ago. Yet a great portion of our future, this church’s future, is found in these very verses.

At the end of the day, I don’t know if any of us are going be in this community forever. Some of us probably have a future away from McMaster. So God’s priority for us gathering here has never been to establish this long-lasting organization here at Mac. Rather I’ve always felt that God intends to shape a generation of young adults here that live life beyond the pew, to live love beyond the corporate church, for all of us to courageously discover how to engage this world everyday as God’s ministers, at school, at work, in marriage, with children, and beyond. That God’s kingdom consists of more than knowledge and righteousness.

God envisions his priesthood as more than just people who know ideas about Him, more than just people who sin less than other people who have all fallen short, but He wants a people whom He can use to see His kingdom come, His will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. He’s equipped us for such, we have not been left alone to figure that out.

Certainly those of us who’ve been here for while know that we’re not totally there yet, that there is way more to come, way more that God intends to reveal. I’m going to talk about some of that today.

Right of the bat I’ll admit, today’s topics scare me, and you guys would know that I’m not usually scared of too many things about church. But I’m realizing as God brings us further and further out of these walls, the things we have to face are often unpredictable, uncomfortable, personal, even painful. If I truly surrendered myself to God I know it’ll change my life, in ways that are out of my control, out of my comprehension even.

So I have to warn you, there are some unknowns here for today’s topics.

I don’t know about you, I’d rather enter the unknown with God, than stay in the known with just other risk adverse people (who am I kidding, if you’re still at Westside in November you’re not risk adverse).

We’re entering the unknown. We don’t have a definite, hammered-out theological manifesto or a twelve step program to success for these areas, but we feel they are pieces that God is opening up to us, and we’re psyched.

So, in increasing order of insanity:

No comments: