Monday, July 9, 2007

You dare call HIM too late?

I guess this week has been quite a week for me, started off with a lot of grief, but ended with joy and peace. The passage that really hit me in my QTs this week, the one that I'm going to share with you, is the story of Lazarus, as recorded in the book of John 11:21-27.

"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

In a lot of ways I pretty much went through what Martha went though. I had struggled with one particular situation for months, I had spent much time praying about it, much effort in trying to fix it, and when the situation finally came to an end this week I was angry at God. I was telling him "If you had done this this and this like I ask you to, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now".

In hindsight I realized that God was staring at me smack dab in the face, telling me that things will be fine, and the only thing that me or Martha could come up with was "you're too late". Jesus told her, "Your brother will rise again." Martha replied, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." She still didn't clue in to what Jesus could do. In the same way I also thought He was too late, I thought there was nothing He could do about the situation now, but by His grace what was once a grief was not nearly as grievous as we all thought.

What God really taught me this week, is to not underestimate Him. To never put anything past his abilities, past his sovereignty, past his power. His plan is pleasing and perfect, period. He's never too late, or too early, or too little, or too much.

And that's the encouragement I wanted to share with you guys today. It's an encouragement that Adrienne brought to the worship team last week, and it's one that God really showed me this week. Hamilton campus in the summer is not exactly the liveliest place, it's usually just a handful of people, mostly the team that's already sitting here. It's very easy to feel that's this is just how it is.

But right now, there are enough people on the campus this very instant to fill this room to over-flowing. Let us not put it past God to do just that. On the other hand, if one passer-by hears one line in a song, one sentence from the sermon, and that becomes a link in their chain to salvation, that alone would make these next 6 hours worth while. Let us not put it past God to do that.

As we pray for this afternoon's service right now, may we be reminded, as God so powerfully showed me this week, that God is ready, willing, and able to make miracles a reality in our lives. Are we ready? Are we willing? Do we believe?

No comments: